Monday, January 7, 2013

Inaugural imag(in)e sea Talk: Photographing Institutions - A Talk by Eiffel Chong

Select Books is pleased to invite you to the inaugural imag(in)e sea talk, by Malaysian photographer Eiffel Chong, titled Photographing Institutions, on Saturday, January 19, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

About imag(in) sea
imag(in)e sea is a series of talks featuring talented individuals who work with photography in Southeast Asia. It takes place whenever/wherever the opportunity arises, providing a space for different photo-based practices to meet/collide. Occasionally, it aims to highlight the work of notable individuals beyond the region. It is supported by Select Books and Invisible Photographer Asia.

imag(in)e sea is initiated and moderated by Zhuang Wubin, a photographer and curator based in Singapore. 

Photographing Institutions
A Talk by Eiffel Chong
"My grandmother passed away in 2005, the year I started photographing hospitals. Her passing changed my way of taking photographs forever. Going to the hospitals after her passing was difficult for me simply because she spent her last moments in an A&E department and I was one of the few family members who was with her at that time.

"Since 2009, I started going to the zoos in Malaysia. Visiting the zoos brought happiness to me when I was young. I am sure it still brings joy to the children who visit them now. I want to experience the same happiness and this time round, I brought my camera along.

"In 2011, I came across an abandoned police station in KL. Surprisingly, I found passport photographs of police personnel scattered in the building. They had been destroyed by the humid weather in Malaysia. I started re-photographing them.

"These three bodies of work fall into my ongoing interest in institutionalized spaces. Increasingly, I feel that institutions are failing the people and ironically, the people who run these institutions are the cause of their failure."

About Eiffel Chong
Eiffel Chong (b. 1977; Kuala Lumpur) graduated with a MA in International Contemporary Art and Design Practice from the University of East London. His work considers abstract concepts of life and death through the banal details, silent landscapes and curious obsessions he observes from daily life.
Selected solo and group exhibitions: This Used to Be My Playground, Artify Gallery, HK, 2012; Before the World Fell to Pieces, Valentine Willie Fine Art, Kuala Lumpur, 2012; Tanah Ayer: Malaysian Stories from the Land, Selasar Sunaryo Art Space, Bandung, 2011; Angsana: Southeast Asian Photographers Taking Flight, 2902 Gallery, Singapore; 2011; Al-Kesah: Once Upon A Time In Malaysia, Map White Box, Kuala Lumpur, 2010; and A New Wave of Responsive Images, Nikon Ginza Gallery, Tokyo, and Sabanci University, Istanbul, 2008; Singapore International Photography Festival, LASALLE College of the Arts, 2008.

Date
Saturday, January 19, 2013
4:00pm

Place
Select Books
51, Armenian Street
Singapore 179939
Tel: 6337 9319



No comments:

Post a Comment